Blaze ruled accidental; causes $130K in damage

WILMINGTON -- An overnight fire caused about $130,000 in damage to a home at 6011 Cedar Ridge Drive, according to Wilmington assistant fire chief Sammy Flowers.

"On first engine arrival there were heavy flames and smoke showing form the garage door area of the home. A quick offensive strategy was used to knock down flames inside the garage," Flowers said in an email.

The fire, which was reported at 10:21 p.m. Wednesday, extended into the attic and crews "pulled ceiling inside the home to gain access and extinguish flames," Flowers said.

There were no injuries in the blaze, and the American Red Cross responded to assist the displaced residents. Flowers estimated the damage at $80,000 to the structure and $50,000 to contents inside.

Flowers said the fire has been ruled accidental. Crews from the Wilmington Fire Department and New Hanover County Fire Services cleared the scene at 1 a.m. Thursday, he said.

Reporter Tim Buckland can be reached at Tim.Buckland@StarNewsOnline.com.