Four people were displaced this afternoon after a fire gutted a duplex apartment off Ramsey Street near the Veteran's Administration Medical Center, the Fayetteville Fire Department said.

The fire on the 2000 block of Blake Street, near Sherman Street, was reported at 12:24 p.m., according to a Fire Department release.

Heavy smoke was coming from the single-story, brick structure when firefighters arrived. The occupants were already safely out of the building, the release said.

Firefighters were able to knock down the fire in order to search the apartments for any victims. They found two dogs, the release said, and treated both of them on the scene. One dog responded well, but the second dog was pronounced dead.

One of the apartments had damage that required the power to be shut off. The American Red Cross was requested to assist the displaced occupants, the release said.

The fire appears to have been accidental, but an investigation is continuing, the release said. Damage was estimated at $60,000.

 

Nancy McCleary